Nihonmatsu Castle[The feature on the castles; Japanese history]

二本松城:幕末時は二本松少年隊の悲劇を生んだ丹羽氏の居城 二本松城【お城特集 日本の歴史】

[Castle name]
Nihonmatsu Castle
Nihonmatsu castle was owned by Niwa-shi, and it was also where the tragedy of Nihonmatsu Shonentai (an army consisting of teenagers who fought in the Boshin war) happened at the end of Edo period

[Explanation of the castle]
Nihonmatsu castle was a flat mountain castle that was located in Nihonmatsu-shi, Fukui prefecture. It was also called Kasumiga Castle. It was registered as a national historic site on July 26th 2007. The castle exists in the northern part of the city of Nihonmatsu, it is a flat mountain castle that was built on 345m high on Shirahatagamine, and its layout is Teikaku style.

二本松城:幕末時は二本松少年隊の悲劇を生んだ丹羽氏の居城 二本松城【お城特集 日本の歴史】

At the beginning of Muromachi period, Takakuni Hatakeyama, who was in charge of Oshu Tandai (local commissioner in Oshu, located in the northern Japan), was based at Shiozawa, Denjigaoka, and he changed the name of the area to Nihonmatsu. And in 1414, the 7th generation lord of Hatakeyama-shi, Mitsuyasu Nihonmatsu, built Nihonmatsu castle there. After that, Nihonmatsu-shi was attacked by Masamune Date during Sengoku period and Yoshitsugu Nihonmatsu, the 15th generation lord, had surrendered to Masamune’s father, Terumune, in October 1585.

二本松城:幕末時は二本松少年隊の悲劇を生んだ丹羽氏の居城 二本松城【お城特集 日本の歴史】

Yoshitsugu attempted to kidnap Terumune and go back to Nihonmatsu castle, but he was shot by Masamune along with Terumune. Masamune immediately started to attack Nihonmatsu castle, and on July 16th 1586, Nihonmatsu castle had opened up and Nihonmatsu-shi was defeated.

Masamune appointed Kagetsuna Katakura as the owner of Nihonmatsu castle. In 1591, after the battle of Odawara led by Hideyoshi Toyotomi, Masamune was transferred to Iwadeyama castle and Nihonmatsu castle became the branch castle of Ujisato Gamo. In 1598 after the death of Ujisato Gamo, Kagekatsu Uesugi went to Aizu and Tadachika Gejo became the owner of the castle.

In 1600 Kagekatsu Uesugi went against Ieyasu Tokugawa, and after the battle of Sekigahara, he was transferred to Yonezawa castle. Ujisato Gamo’s son, Hideyuki, returned to Aizu, and Yozaemon Umehara and Kanemon Kadoya became the owners of Nihonmatsu castle. In 1627 when Gamo-shi was trasferred to Iyo no Kuni, Matsuyama, Yoshiaki Kato entered Aizu. Shigetsuna Matsushita of Kato-shi then became the owner of Nihonmatsu castle.

二本松城:幕末時は二本松少年隊の悲劇を生んだ丹羽氏の居城 二本松城【お城特集 日本の歴史】

In 1628 after the death of Shigetsuna, his son Nagatsuna was transferred to Miharu castle and Yoshiaki’s second son, Aketoshi became the owner. In 1643, Yoshiaki’s son Akenari was subject to Kaieki, and Aketoshi’s son Akekatsu was also subject to Kaieki. Instead Nagahide Niwa’s grandson, Mitsushige, became the new owner and started to remodel the castle.

Stone walls were built in Honmaru, and 3 tiered castle tower was built. It became the base for Niwa-shi until the Meiji restoration. in 1868 at Boshin war, Nihonmatsu domain fought against the new government force. On July 29th when most of the army was at Shirakawaguchi, The new government force attacked Nihonmatsu castle town and the castle was destroyed in a day. Because they were lacking soldiers, youth soldiers called Nihonmatsu Shonentai were recruited and resulted in many tragic events. Many parts of the castle were burnt down because of this, too.

Nagakuni Niwa, the domain lord, escaped to Yonezawa and surrendered in September. Nihonmatsu domain continued to exist, but in 1872 the castle was completely demolished. It is now a park called Kasumiga castle park and there are replicated stone walls and gates. There is also a statue of Nihonmaru Shonentai.

※The picture shows Nihonmatsu castle and Nihonmatsu Shonentai that created many tragic events at the end of Sengoku period.
二本松城:幕末時は二本松少年隊の悲劇を生んだ丹羽氏の居城 二本松城【お城特集 日本の歴史】

3 Kakunai, Nihonmatsu, Fukui


Related post


  1. No comments yet.

  1. No trackbacks yet.


Recent comments

    Return Top