Otaki Castle[The feature on the castles; Japanese history]

大多喜城:徳川四天王の一人本多忠勝の居城 大多喜城【お城特集 日本の歴史】

[Castle name]
Otaki Castle
Otaki castle was owned by Tadakatsu Honda, who was one of the Tokugawa Shitenno (the 4 great generals serving Tokugawa).

The beginning of Otaki castle was when Nobukiyo Mariyatsu built a castle called Odaki castle in 1521. Tomonobu Maruyatsu continued to build, and in 1544, the castle was stolen by Satomi-shi.

大多喜城/アクセス・場所・地図 徳川四天王の一人本多忠勝の居城 大多喜城【お城特集 日本の歴史】

It entered Sengoku period as a branch castle for the Satomi family, and in 1590 when Kazusa no Kuni was taken away from Satomi-shi due their violation of Hideyoshi Toyotomi’s Shobu Jirei, Kazusa no Kuni was given to Ieyasu Tokugawa, and Tadatomo Honda, who was one of Tokugawa Shitenno, became the owner.

大多喜城/アクセス・場所・地図 徳川四天王の一人本多忠勝の居城 大多喜城【お城特集 日本の歴史】

Tadakatsu started to organize the castle town, but in 1691, Tadakatsu was given Ise’s Kuwana due to his achievement at the battle of Sekigahara. His former territory, Otaki, was given to his second son Tadatomo Honda.

※After that, Tadatomo Honda was killed at the battle in Osaka.

In June 1609, Tadakatsu appointed his adopted son, Tadamasa Honda, as the head lord and he retired, and he passed away on October 18th in 1610. Tadakatsu’s descendants continued to transfer and became Okazaki domain until the Meiji restoration.

On the other hand, Otaki castle was once destroyed in September 1619 after Masatsugu Abe, the lord of the domain had transferred. In December 1671, Masaharu Abe became the owner but the restoration of the castle did not go well because of financial problems.

大多喜城:徳川四天王の一人本多忠勝の居城 大多喜城【お城特集 日本の歴史】

After that, the owner continued to change from Aoyama to Kuze, and from Inagaki to Uemura, and in 1703 Masahisa Matsudaira became the owner and continued until the Meiji restoration.

481 Otaki, Otaki-machi, Isumi-gun, Chiba 298-0216


Related post


  1. No comments yet.

  1. No trackbacks yet.


Recent comments

    Return Top